With the kids home for Break, we were thinking it might be fun to spend a day watching movies. We wanted a theme. But we couldn’t think of a good one so we settled on just watching a series – Harry Potter (ok, we didn’t get very far; there are eight movies, after all).
Nonetheless, I really wanted to aim to do a theme for our next marathon. What could be a good theme, I wondered? I had thought maybe focusing on movies from one director, or a particular actor.
To get more inspiration, I googled. I found the lamest lists – most of them suggested simply watching a series – the Matrix, Star Wars, etc.
Since then, we have been brainstorming to plan something a little more interesting for next time. Thus far, we have come up with:
- Gangster Movies (i.e. The Godfather, Goodfellas, Scarface, etc.),
- Jewish Movies (Yentl, The Jazz Singer, etc.),
- Movie Remakes (Jumanji, A Star is Born, Oceans Eleven, Freaky Friday),
- Movies turned Musicals (The Color Purple, Mean Girls, Footloose),
- Top 60s/70s/80s,
- Oscar Best Pictures (90 to choose from),
- Movies from a particular country & about that country (Ireland = The Quiet Man, The Crying Game, ’71)
Has anybody out there in cyberland ever hosted an interesting movie marathon? If so, please let me know what you did so I can add them to my list.
Happy New Year!