Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Wrath of the Grapes of Wrath

This year I am a sophomore in high school, which allows me to take Honors English because I do thoroughly enjoy literature. However, for our summer reading this year we had to read a little story, perhaps you’ve heard of it, called the Grapes of Wrath. Quite frankly I don’t think I have ever been put into more pain while reading something until I read this book. It wasn’t “bad”. In fact I would go as far to say that it was good. It was just painful. Kind of like really hot chocolate. It’s really painful at first, but once you get used to it and have a couple of sips, it actually tastes pretty good. The problem that I had was probably that I didn’t leave myself that much time to read it, so I had to rush myself and then I didn’t have much time to absorb it. So basically I spilled my hot chocolate all over me and burned myself. 

For those of you who haven’t read The Grapes of Wrath,  two thirds of the book is about the Joad family and their quest to California. The other third is like philosophical insight on the events of the time period and life in general. That one third is the hard part. Now I didn’t mean for this to turn into a book review but that is sort of what just went down. All in all, I would suggest The Grapes of Wrath. Just read it slowly and carefully and take small sips.
   
Rudolph

3 comments:

  1. I read Grapes Of Wrath when I was 11 or 12, which was probably way too young. There is one part I really remember, from right at the very end, that I remember ery well because it kind of traumatized me. Can you guess what part that is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the woman who lost her baby breast-feeds the man in the barn to help him survive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember being forced to read the Grapes of Wrath in high school too! I don't think I tried very hard to absorb it. A few years ago I read it again and found it to be a VERY good book!

    ReplyDelete