Sunday, December 6, 2015

Bending Time and Space



Is it just me or does time seem to being moving faster?  That’s impossible, right?  Time is time. 

I looked it up and found this:

“Events take place in space and time. A fundamental fact is that between any two points, another point can be found and between any two moments, there is always another moment. There are no gaps in space or time, and each is therefore said to form a continuum.” The Space-Time Continuum, Louis A. Girifalco.  I’m sure Bill Nye and all of the other science guys out there can offer all sorts of proof for the statements made above. 

Then why can’t I shake this sensation?

Here’s a for instance:  I would swear to you that summer just ended.  Camps and vacations were over and the kids just went back to school.  Now I look and it’s December.  Like Hanukah, Christmas and all the Fa La La La that comes with it.  Before we know it, it won’t even be 2015 anymore.  And that just started too.

I remembered the expression “Time flies when you’re having fun.”  I buy this premise.  Good times with friends and exciting family vacations never seem to be long enough.  So maybe my issue is that I’m just having so much freaking fun all of the time that time seems to be flying.  We do have gobs of fun around here but I’m not sure that’s it.

Maybe it has something to do with my kids.  Both Rudolph and Holly are in high school now and I also believe the expression, “They grow up so fast.”  It has been more than 17 years since our first child was born and although I know we did 17 full years of living our lives since then, it really seems to have gone quicker than I expected.

I asked my friend Google about this phenomenon and she referred me to an article on PsychologyToday.com.  The braintrust over there says that it has something to do with anticipation.  As we get older, we tend to mark our years with key events.  Between our keen anticipation of the next such event and the fuller, busier lives we lead as adults between such events, time starts to feel like it is moving faster. OK.  I buy it. 

The best antidote they say is to make sure you stop and smell the proverbial roses each day -- something that I think I do generally but I guess I’ll have to try doing it more.  We’ll check back next year and see how that’s going.  And hopefully it won’t be next year so fast that I get a chance to do it.

Frosty

1 comment:

  1. time to me too seems to be moving faster as i get older. this year has flown by and before we know it summer will be here and 2016 will be half over.....
    www.valeroni.com

    ReplyDelete