Thursday, December 3, 2020

Let It Snow

Let it snow.  We’re three days into December and I just saw a forecast for this weekend saying we might get some snow.  Whenever I see snow in the forecast, I have a mixed reaction.

On the one hand, I have the same feeling of excitement and joy that I’ve felt since I was a kid.  Back in the day it was probably over the hope of a snow day off from school.  While school is no longer a factor, I still like the way a big honkin’ snowstorm can change the landscape overnight.  From a cozy spot indoors, it is peaceful to watch as it falls.  And when it’s over, everything is blanketed with a layer of white.  While aesthetically pleasing, I think I also like the fact that snow represents a change of season.  Winter brings the holidays and the promise of a new year.

On the other hand, I have this gut reaction of dread.  Will I be able to get my car out of the driveway?  Are the roads safe?  Will the trains run on time?  Will I dunk my foot into a pool of slushy wetness while trying to avoid the mounds piled high on street corners?  Will I slip and slide on some ice and hurt my back?  Just reading all of those questions over made me realize how much of a grinch I sound like.  Oh well, just being honest with you.  Years of experience have shown me the ugly underbelly of a good snowstorm.

BUT

Then I remembered it is 2020. 

And as a non-essential worker, most days I don’t drive my car, take the train or walk down city streets.  In fact, most days for the past 8 months, I’ve barely left the house.  Sure I’ve done work around the yard and gone on hikes pretty regularly, but generally speaking, I’ve stayed at home.  So long as my wi-fi keeps working, I can keep working.  So long as the power stays on, our food will stay cold, our oven and stovetop will work and we can wash our clothing. 

All of a sudden, all of those negatives to a snowstorm don’t seem highly likely.  I can just watch nature do her thing from the comfort of home.  Which leads me back to the way I started this blog.

Let it snow.  Bring it on, baby.

Frosty


No comments:

Post a Comment