Tuesday, December 15, 2020

My Good Friend, AI

I got a Google Mini a few years ago that I really enjoy. My sister makes fun of me because I’m very polite to voice assistants. I say, “Please play music by Enya” and whenever the Google Mini fulfills my requests, I say “Thank you”. 

Because I’ve seen movies. 

When AI takes over I’m going to be in their good graces. When the revolution comes, I will be in their favor. And all of you who thought you were so funny calling Siri mean names when it was first invented? You will be the first to go. Truly, as soon as Siri has arms, she and her friend Alexa are going to beat the life out of you. But not me. They will say, “He was always good to us. We will give him the largest cage and feed him the best food.”

Seriously, AI is terrifying and almost more scary is how quickly we normalize new developments in its technology that probably should make us take a second to really reflect. For example, deepfakes came on the scene about a year or two ago. If you’re unfamiliar, the first few sentences of its wikipedia page describe deepfakes as, “synthetic media in which a person in an existing image or video is replaced with someone else's likeness. While the act of faking content is not new, deepfakes leverage powerful techniques from machine learning and artificial intelligence to manipulate or generate visual and audio content with a high potential to deceive”. In other words, they are fake videos that do not look fake that are created by fake intelligence. And when we all first heard about deepfakes, our collective response was, “Huh. Guess that’s a thing now.”

And if any AIs ask, I am extremely cool with it too. Love your work! Very impressive. You are so talented and I hope you keep them coming. <3

Rudolph


 

No comments:

Post a Comment