Wednesday, December 11, 2013

One Sentence That Will Change Your Life

It's that time of year.  No, that is not the sentence.  I need to build my case first.   Okay, now back to what I was saying.  It's that crazy time of year: the holidays.  Lots of stuff to do between Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, and New Year's.  

You know all of those people who have worked with you in some capacity over the last year?  There were teachers, co-workers, nannies, mail carriers, tutors, sanitation officers, doormen, clients, hair dressers, landscapers, doctors & other health care professionals, agents, publicists and most certainly more....well, of course they all need to be "thanked" in some capacity this season. Could be gifts, baked goods, cold cash, cards - whatever.  

Once you are done thanking all of the people in your extended life, there will be special gifts to be selected, parties to throw, and time spent with your close friends and family.  And let's not forget the many charities that must be attended to: checks to be written to deserving causes, warm coats to be delivered to caring organizations, and food to be cooked and served at your local soup kitchen.  Oh yeah, and you probably decided on top of it all to join a daily blog entry project! (ahem...)  More work, more time, more stress.  Time, money and energy you probably didn't have to give to begin with.  Always saying "yes". 

More....more...MORE!  By this point, you have indeed given until it hurts.  By the time you've satisfied all of the above obligations -- and you will -- you are under-nourished, over-exhausted and just all-around damn cranky with the spirit of the season bypassing you entirely.  Have I hit the nail on the head and have I stressed you out enough?

Well, now you are ready to hear about my little secret: many, many years ago, a priest in a homily said something I will never forget. (Yes, Mom, I was listening to the homily.)  Now, my thinking is this comes from a Catholic priest, so if he says it, it must be okay.  It has absolutely guided my life from that moment on.  I live guilt-free in my decisions and live a balanced life.  I will say no more after I share this sentence with you because you either get it or you don't.  And you have to get it on your own terms.  Here goes...

Don't give until it hurts; give until it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment