Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Playing With Plays

Wow look! She’s doing another list about her opinion! Well, you didn’t have to read a family’s personal blog if you’re going to be such a Negative Nelly about it. Anyway, I had my final Intro to Acting class today, and we’ve read a LOT of plays throughout the semester. I thought I’d talk about some of my favorite ones. 

1. All My Sons
Even though I’ve seen two separate productions of “All My Sons”, once at my theater summer camp and once on Broadway, reading this play was really enjoyable and impactful nonetheless. It’s a really dramatically written and great play, and getting to perform a scene in it helped me identify with some of the more complex characters.

2. Angels in America
Damn, this one is so long, and when I saw it on Broadway it took a total of like 8 hours to watch the whole thing. However, it gave me a lot of information in different perspectives about a time in history that I did not know a lot about, and did it with an interesting and frantic narrative. 

3. Gruesome Playground Injuries
This play is written in a cool nonlinear format, which I liked, and it has some scenes that are really hilarious, and some that are devastatingly heartbreaking. It has really great range and is a cool concept about how people are brought together through different means. 

4. A Raisin in the Sun
I really liked this play because it felt so normal and relatable despite being set in a completely different time and place than in the one I live. It also kept me engaged for the whole time, which can be hard for a play to do when you’re only reading it and not watching it be performed on stage. 

There were other plays that I read, but I didn’t have as much to say about those, and I’ve got a Secret Santa gift exchange to get to, so see you all soon!

Holly




No comments:

Post a Comment