Friday, December 2, 2016

Name The Perfect Song

A few years ago, I created a playlist for my son for Christmas.  My goal was to create a sample of “great songs” throughout the years.  How do I define a great song?  Good question.  I don’t know.  I’ll tell you when I hear one.  I guess everyone has their own criteria but it probably always comes back to that – you know it when you hear it.  Whether it’s the first time you listen to it or the 50th time, it always hits you when it comes on the radio that THIS is a great song.

Since then, I’ve made a new playlist each year.  Here are some samples of what’s been on one of the previous playlists:

A Day In The Life – Beatles
Movin’ Out – Billy Joel
Like A Rolling Stone – Bob Dylan
Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
Turn! Turn! Turn! – The Byrds
Johnny B. Goode –Chuck Berry
Under The Boardwalk – The Drifters
Urgent – Foreigner
In The Air Tonight – Phil Collins
Holiday – Green Day
I Love Rock ‘N Roll – Joan Jett
Life’s Been Good – Joe Walsh
Watching The Wheels – John Lennon
Separate Ways – Journey
Stairway To Heaven – Led Zeppelin
House of the Rising Sun – The Animals
Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd
Nights In White Satin – Moody Blues
Another Brick In The Wall – Pink Floyd
Roxanne – The Police
Another One Bites The Dust – Queen
Smooth – Santana
Too Much Time On My Hands – Styx
Pinball Wizard – The Who
Dust In The Wind – Kansas
Rocket Man – Elton John


This list probably leans more heavily toward classic rock of the 70s and 80s.  What can I say -- those were my formative years.  I’ve included artists from the 90s and 2000s as well (e.g., Black Eyed Peas, Train).  I have tried not to use more than 2 songs from a given artist – maybe three if they were chock full of hits.  In any case, I’m working on this year’s list and am always open to suggestions.

What would you consider to be essential additions to an 18 year old’s music playlist?  

4 comments:

  1. Fat Man in the Bathtub and Willin' by Little Feat are two of my all time favorite songs ever. Also, some Bob Dylan -- Subterranean Homesick Blues or Like a Rolling Stone perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AC/DC Back in Black. Then check out from 'today' Blackberry Smoke. Southern rock. Been around ~12 years. New song 'Waiting for the Thinder'

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's ancient and cheesy, but "Joy to the World" by 3 Dog Night.

    Happy Holidailies.

    ReplyDelete