Thursday, December 14, 2023

My Lukewarm Take

I know this isn’t some huge revelation, but it might be controversial so I’m throwing it out there. There are some movies that are considered masterpieces by the film community that I simply just find boring. I’m not good at sitting through the same confusing dramatic establishing shots for way too long periods of time. It’s just not my style. And there are some “bad” movies that bring me complete and utter joy and I could rewatch a million times. 

Sometimes I want my cinema experience to spark a rousing psychological debate, but sometimes I just want to recount the stupid jokes and look up the cute actors. 

Even though cliché, bad writing can irk me sometimes, I love the predictability of Hallmark movies. Clichés are clichés because they work. Just because you know exactly what’s going to happen as soon as every character is introduced doesn’t make it bad. I love a good plot twist but I’m not against knowing which characters are sus right from the start. 

At the end of the day, I believe that it’s better to watch a “dumb” movie that brings you real joy rather than a technically “good” movie that makes you want to gouge your eyeballs out, film critics be damned.

Thanks for reading.

Holly



No comments:

Post a Comment