Saturday, December 9, 2023

Working With Kids

As a current day care teacher/person who as worked with many ages of children in various different capacities, I am always amused when people say they could NEVER work with all those kids and wipe butts all day. But honestly, I think my day care job is easier than my other day job as a brand ambassador handing out info pamphlets in Times Square.

This evening I babysat one of my work babies for five hours, and it was easily the most relaxing part of my day. It certainly helps that he’s an easier baby, but I find it very relaxing to help a 10 month old walk around for a half hour and then “show him” Polar Express (by that I mean I put some cereal puffs and some toys on the floor in front of him as we watched the Polar Express together). I helped him snack and then changed him, gave him a bottle, and he was so tuckered out he fell asleep in like 5 minutes without even wearing his sleep sack. I then spent the rest of my night watching a holiday rom-com and eating the takeout I’d ordered, and I literally got paid for that. With babysitting (as well as daycare), the kids require a lot of rest, be it naps or actual bedtime. Because of this, I get to take breaks when they’re not awake and I can just exist, and since he’s so little I don’t even have to worry about explaining things to him in a way he can comprehend, because he’s just a mushy little blob of adorableness that likes having raspberries blown on his fat little belly and that's basically it.

I suppose I can understand where people are coming from when they don’t find it as refreshing and energizing as I do to play with kids, but even then you don’t really have to entertain them if you don’t want to— at a certain age they can pretty much entertain themselves and you just have to keep an eye on them and make sure they’re alive. Getting paid to do that seems plenty worth it to me, and honestly, I would have paid that little munchkin’s parents money to let me hang out with him.

Thanks for reading!

Holly




No comments:

Post a Comment