Monday, December 14, 2020

My 2020 Top 10

 2020 was a tough year for all.  I am not a glass-half-full person, but I thought it would be a good exercise to list the top ten things I am thankful for that happened in 2020.  So in no particular order, here goes…

  1. My son graduated college. Not the formal ceremony with all the pomp and circumstance, but completed the coursework for the actual degree. Something I am very proud of and happy for him.

  2. We spent a lot of time hanging out in our yard with lots of friends (one couple at a time, always socially distanced).  We always make time for friends, but with everybody’s inability to make plans far in advance, or go long distances, or be somewhere doing something else, it became very easy to make plans to see all of these people we really enjoy.

  3. Every square inch of our home and property got good use this year.  Our den has also functioned as a classroom, gym, recording studio and office. Our deck also served as an office, and our patio our social gathering place. Our yard and gardens were often my exercise and sanity. Thankful to have access to these things at our fingertips.

  4. Family time. Normally, we travel quite frequently. This year, being home all the time enabled us to spend more time as a family.

  5. Good, bad, or otherwise, we all learned much more about the voting process. People cared more; I cared more. I was proud to wait in line for three hours to vote.  

  6. Organization!  So many little projects that one never seems to get to, get done.  Of course there is always a little voice inside my head “If you can’t get that done during a pandemic, then you will never get it done.

  7. Zoom!  I know you all hate Zoom, but you have to love how it gave everybody a good excuse to have group face-to-face-ish reunions with lots of long lost friends.

  8. My health. My family’s health. Enough said on this one.

  9. Our trainer!  Kind of related to #8, but also the mental health that goes along with exercise.  We have been steadily training virtually 3x a week. Also thankful to have already had some gym equipment in the aforementioned den.

  10. Nature. We have hiked more of this county in 2020 than probably in all of the years we have lived here prior.  We have hiked places we didn’t know existed before this pandemic.  We have seen big snakes, little snakes, frogs, cool birds (including owls), deer, moles and other things I am probably forgetting. 


As I read somewhere, 2020 was the year to be thankful for what we have, not long for what we want. 

Happy new year all!

Eve



No comments:

Post a Comment